50 surf sports officials receive long service awards at 2021 Aussies
The Australian Surf Life Saving Championships is the largest surf lifesaving carnival in the world, each year thousands of surf lifesavers from across the country make the annual pilgrimage to “The Aussies” to test their ‘rescue ready’ skills in competitive environment, under the watchful eye of volunteer officials.
Surf Sports Officials are equally as talented and dedicated as the competitors and without their selfless dedication and efforts, the Aussies simply would not be possible.
In 2021 there were over 500 unique surf sport officials who contributed over 25,000 hours to make the Aussies a success and one evening during the event, an awards presentation was held to honour 50 of these officials for their long-service and commitment to the Aussies and surf lifesaving.
Newly elected SLSA President John Baker ESM and Chair of Surf Sports Andrew Buhk, were on-hand to make the presentations to 50 of these surf sports officials in recognition of their key milestones of service – 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 years.
“After a two-year hiatus it was sensational to be back on the beach, and an event the size of the Aussies simply just doesn’t go ahead without the help, dedication and work of our surf sport officials,” Buhk said.
“Having been an official myself now for 30 years, I started because I wanted to give back to the sport and movement that had given me so much, much like many others, but year after year I think it’s the friendships that you make over that time that continues to bring people back.”
Neil Morarty OAM from Lorne SLSC in Victoria was one such official to be honoured, he received an award for his amazing 50-years of service and said that reaching the milestone was a labour of love and something that he has enjoyed immensely.
“I’ve been here fifty years, but it doesn’t seem that long, and it’s been really exciting,” Neil said.
“Apart from doing what you love, you meet a lot of good friends … there’s a lot of people I’ve enjoyed being involved with.
“It’s mainly the friends and acquaintances you meet along the way. It’s been terrific.”
For a full list of the service awards received please see the full list below:
Please join us in acknowledging the full list of the service awards awarded at this years Aussies below:
20+ years of service
- Janine Fahey, Collaroy SLSC
- Beris Meldrum, Terrigal SLSC
- Gary Cook, Newport SLSC
- Chris Jones, Wamberal SLSC
- Maurice McCutcheon, Fairhaven SLSC
- Terry Crawt, Miami Beach SLSC
- Peter Fleming, Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park SLSC
- Robert Thompson, Grange SLSC
- Tony Haven AM, South Narrabeen SLSC
- Malcolm Flew, Cape Hawke SLSC
- Heather Morris, Coogee SLSC, Penguin SLSLC
- Gavin Marshall, Cudgen Headland SLSC
- Elaine Unger, Ocean Beach SLSC
- Terry Aldridge, Black Head SLSC
- John Robinson, Coolum Beach SLSC
30+ years of service
- Andrew Buhk, Alexandra Headland SLSC
- Ron Pomering, Warriewood SLSC
- Peter Connell, North Burleigh SLSC
- John Custance, Kurrawa SLSC
- Wayne Scott, Red Rock Corrindi SLSC
- Greg Allum AM, Wanda SLSC, Cronulla SLSC
- Max Harris, Cudgen Headland SLSC
- Jeffrey Mowbray, Swansea Belmont SLSC
- Jeffrey Hewit, South Curl Curl SLSC
- Rhonda Lycett, Mona Vale SLSC
- Rod McDonagh, South West Rocks
- Sharleen Swan, Coolum Beach SLSC
40+ years of service
- Robert (Bobo) White, Helensburgh-Stanwell Park SLSC
- Vonnie Tallon, Mooloolaba SLSC
- Stephen Strange OAM, Burning Palms SLSC
- Graham Bruce, Cronulla SLSC
- Dr Glen Patten OAM, Seacliff SLSC
- David Swanson, Alexandra Headland SLSC
- Warren Massey, Moore Park SLSC
- Mike Martin AM, Anglesea SLSC
- Thomas (Roger) Lloyd, Point Lonsdale SLSC
- Jean Burling OAM, Cottesloe SLSC
- Denis Mathieson, Marcoola SLSC
- Roger Griffiths, Southport SLSC (QLD)
- Paul Kenny, Cudgen Headland SLSC
- Ross Wyeth, Southport SLSC (QLD)
- Alan Griffiths, Tugun SLSC
- Ross Bartlett, Sunshine Beach SLSC
- David Earl, Seacliff SLSC
50+ years of service
- Reg Butler OAM, Mackay SLSC
- Lorraine Buhk, Alexandra Headland SLSC
- Bruce Caldwell, South West Rocks SLSC
- Robert (Chalkie) Smith) OAM, Wauchope, Bony Hills SLSC
- John Beasley OAM,The Entrance SLSC / Lennox Head Alstonville SLSC
- Neil Morarty OAM, Lorne SLSC
60+ years of service
- John Beasley OAM, The Entrance SLSC / Lennox Head Alstonville SLSC
For more information on the 2021 Australian Surf Life Saving Championships please click here.