Since our team managers’ meeting further information has come to hand.
SLSA Safety and Risk and the Australian Championship Committees have been advised by local authorities that all waterways and estuaries will be closed for the next three days due to poor water quality.
The Safety and welfare of our competitors is first and foremost when making decisions of cancelling or postponing competition.
In light of the information to hand we have decided that water competition will be cancelled. Contingency venues are also compromised.
The only events to continue will be first aid events, R&R (dry run through only), beach events and the March Past.
There are strict risk management plans and processes in place and the conditions have been deemed to exceed our risk management tolerances.
Members are advised that if they choose to enter the water, they do so at their own risk. We therefore recommend against any entry into the water.
The current program for lifesaving and first aid events, R&R (dry run through only), and beach events will stand and an updated program for Sunday (non-water events) will be distributed tomorrow (Saturday).
In reaching this decision we have looked at all options and we appreciate this is disappointing.