Invitations for expressions of interest in the role of:
National Leader of Life Saving Chaplaincy
This is an exciting new role leading the expansion of Life Saving Chaplaincy (LSC) across Australia. Our vision is to see a chaplain in every one of Australia’s 311 surf life saving clubs.
Our fascination with sport, life saving and the beach provides an incredible opportunity to serve many Australians through an expansion of our current Athletes in Action (AIA) “Life Saving Chaplaincy”.
The National Leader will be supported by the Life Saving Chaplaincy ‘National Operations Board’ made up of people experienced in the fields of life saving, pastoral care and development. The person will assist the Board to implement plans to grow the Life Saving Chaplaincy by leading its operations and in launching fundraising and recruiting efforts (to find, train and place volunteer chaplains in clubs).
The person will need to be a Christian who senses a clear call of the Lord Jesus to Life Saving Chaplaincy and is willing to fundraise their salary, as this is a faith based role (with an initial subsidy). The role is for a full time worker based in the Gold Coast, to be coached in the process of raising support.
The Lifesaving Chaplaincy (LSC) has been in operation since 1998 led by Terry Legg, as a field ministry of Athletes in Action, one of the many arms within Campus Crusade for Christ Australia. LSC is fully endorsed by Sports Chaplaincy Australia (SCA) and Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) to provide chaplaincy to life saving clubs. There are around 10 life saving club chaplains already in place.
Competencies and Responsibilities of National Leader:
· Appreciation of the iconic Australian life saving culture, as both a sport and a volunteer community.
· Self motivated, resourceful, growth focussed and able to work independently.
· Excellent communication and advocacy skills (with clubs, chaplains, SLSA and media).
· Capable of working with volunteers and prepared to work flexible hours and travel nationally.
· Existing experience with sports, chaplaincy and volunteer life saving would be an advantage.
· To optimise the ministry’s performance (with sound plans, policies, practises and personnel).
· To ensure good governance of the ministry, especially in decisions about people, finance and risk.
· To look out for the interests of the chaplains, sponsors, life savers and LSC.
· To be an informed and enthusiastic ambassador for the organisation and to be aligned with our mission, values and statement of faith (refer to www.ccca.org.au ).
An initial 1-2 page expression of interest is invited by July 29th to LSC Board Secretary Ann Donnelly Marshall, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information you can also contact Terry Legg anytime on 0411 331 495 or Lynda Woods (afterhours) on 0411 684 215.
Download a copy of the position description here.