Surf Life Saving congratulates Westpac on their 200th birthday.
Westpac, which celebrates its 200th anniversary, has been a Major Partner of Surf Life Saving with Naming Rights of the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Service (WLSRHS) since 1973.
Melissa King, Chief Executive, Surf Life Saving Australia said rescue crews and operations staff from around the country have come together to thank Westpac for its continued support.
“Westpac has positively impacted millions of Australians during the past two centuries, including the thousands of lives they have helped on local beaches, coastal regions and other areas during times of emergency. The entire Surf Life Saving movement thanks Westpac for its vital contribution. Surf Life Saving’s Westpac Helicopter Services and rescue boat services in Northern Territory and Victoria would not be possible without their support,” Ms King said.
“The Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Service helicopters and rescue boats are synonymous with protecting lives and keeping our beaches safe. This is the most important community partnership of its kind and it has a proud history that resonates with the entire nation.”
The partnership is one of Australia’s longest-running and most valued community sponsorships. Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Service has conducted more than 80,000 missions in the past four decades and conducts an average of six rescues a week from its 14 bases around the country.
More recently the Service launched its Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Schools Program, a fun and educational resource developed to teach primary school students about the iconic emergency service, and the Air Rescue television program, which follows the high stakes work of rescue crew.
A snapshot of the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service
- As the oldest civilian search and rescue service in Australia, the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service has performed more than 80,000 missions over the past four decades.
- It began in 1973 with just one helicopter in Sydney, and Wales Bank, now known as Westpac, has supported this vital service since its inception.
- Today the Service covers over 84% of the Australian population during the summer months with a national operation made up of 16 helicopters flying from 14 bases. The Service also includes two rescue boats, based in the Northern Territory and Victoria.
- Westpac has proudly supported the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service for more than 40 years, beginning in 1973.
- Every Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter base across the nation is a free community service, no individual has ever been charged to be rescued.
- Australians touched by the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service can share their story, say thank you and if they wish, donate via westpacrescue.com.au