Surf Life Saving Australia announces nominees for the 2021 National Awards of Excellence
Surf Life Saving Australia is proud to announce the nominees for the 2021 National Awards of Excellence that will be held virtually, via SLSA’s Facebook on Saturday, November 6.
The annual award night pays tribute and celebrates the extraordinary efforts of members in Surf Life Saving across the country who have demonstrated outstanding acts in the surf, on the beach, in their clubs and community over the past 12 months.
In 2021, the virtual awards night will consist of live in-studio presentations as well as virtual interviews and appearances from members across Australia. The event will be streamed live across Surf Life Saving Australia’s Facebook page with surf lifesaving members Sam Djodan (Redhead SLSC) and Jenny Parry (Maroochydore SLSC) hosting the annual event.
Throughout the night there will be 13 award categories across lifesaving, education, and sport, as well as the prestigious Meritorious Awards for outstanding and brave rescues. There will also be three new SLSA Life Members acknowledged during the event.
Surf Life Saving Australia’s President John Baker ESM said that the Awards of Excellence recognise the amazing achievements of our members and acknowledges’ their contribution and commitment to their communities.
“The Awards of Excellence are a chance for our movement to come together to reflect on the past season and recognise the significant contributions individuals and clubs make in keeping the Australian coastline and community safe,” he said.
“The nominees in each category are outstanding, the best in their states or territory across the country. It is truly inspiring to have so many committed, talented and selfless people committed to our movement and the wider community.
“By holding the event virtually, all surf lifesavers across the country have the opportunity to watch and join in the celebrations live as we recognise and celebrate the extraordinary efforts of our fellow lifesavers and I encourage everyone to join in the event and celebrations”.
The 2021 SLSA Awards of Excellence will be live from 5:30PM (AEDT) on Saturday November 6 and will be streamed via the SLSA Facebook page.
The nominees for the 2021 National Awards of Excellence are:
DHL Club of the Year:
The DHL Club of the Year Award recognises the incredible achievements in a club’s development that results in a safer beach and aquatic environment for the community at large. It also acknowledges that clubs achieve many outstanding accomplishments through their members and that these initiatives are inspirational and different to our core business.
- Helensburgh-Stanwell Park SLSC, NSW
- Marcoola SLSC, QLD
- Seacliff SLSC, SA
- Clifton Beach SLSC, TAS
- Black Rock LSC, VIC
- Trigg Island SLSC, WA
DHL Surf Lifesaver of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards members who have made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of surf lifesaving frontline services and those who act as ambassadors for surf lifesaving.
- Paul Sharpe – Umina SLSC, NSW
- Steven Krohn – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Melinda Jackson – Northcliffe SLSC, QLD
- Matthew Burrage – Goolwa SLSC, SA
- Dean Dunham – Penguin SLSC, TAS
- Chris Perrott – Portsea SLSC, VIC
- Jay Morgan – Fremantle SLSC, WA
DHL Volunteer of the Year:
This award recognises an individual’s contribution that has enhanced the development of surf lifesaving and has demonstrated outstanding service to the organisation at large in a range of areas.
- Harold Marshall – Umina SLSC, NSW
- Tracy Koch – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Raymond Fine – Currumbin SLSC, QLD
- Cal Silcock – Christies Beach SLSC, SA
- Neil Hargreaves – Port Sorrell SLSC, TAS
- Tea-Rose Passon – Port Melbourne LSC, VIC
- Luke Bishop – Swanbourne Nedlands SLSC, WA
DHL Lifeguard of the Year:
The DHL Lifeguard of the Year recognises and rewards Australian Lifeguard Service employees who have made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development if lifeguard services during the 2019-20 season.
- Amber Whipple – NSW
- Kaitlyn Stephen – NT
- Isaac Smith – QLD
- Lachlan Campbell – SA
- Sarah McNamara – VIC
- Dominic Lawrence – WA
Youth Surf Lifesaver of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards our young members ages between 15-21 year, who has made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of surf lifesaving frontline services and those who act as ambassadors for surf lifesaving.
- Liam Drake – Ocean Beach SLSC, NSW
- Fisher Harris – Mindil Beach SLSC, NT
- Dylan Chapman – Miami Beach SLSC, QLD
- Tom Breen – Goolwa SLSC, SA
- Murphy Knowles – Ulverstone SLSC, TAS
- Andrew May – Portsea SLSC, VIC
- Nicholas Graydon – Secret Harbour SLSC, WA
Assessor of the Year:
This award recognises and reward assessors who have made a significant contribution towards the area of education and awards within surf lifesaving.
- Phillip Carter – Maroubra SLSC, NSW
- Ken Clark OAM – Pacific SLSC, QLD
- Ingrid Cobiac – Brighton SLSC, SA
- Elise McCorriston – Venus Bay SLSC, VIC
- Jeff Medcalf – Albany SLSC, WA
Trainer of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards trainers who have made a significant contribution toward the area of education within surf lifesaving.
- Tim Pittolo – Terrigal SLSC, NSW
- Bridget Riggs – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Annabel Grant – Cairns SLSC, QLD
- Hannah Darling – Grange SLSC, SA
- Megan Hampton – Bicheno SLSC, TAS
- Steven Thirlwall – Black Rock LSC, VIC
- Garry Williams – Secret Harbour SLSC, WA
Community Education Program of the Year:
Community Education Program of the Year recognises and rewards activities which have significantly worked towards saving lives, creating great Australians, and building better communities.
- Welcome to the Beach – Cooks Hill SLSC, NSW
- Albatross Nipper Program – Nobbys Beach SLSC, QLD
- Semaphore Seabirds Nipper Inclusion Program – Semaphore SLSC, SA
- Silver Salties Program – Penguin SLSC, TAS
- Silver Salties Program – Binningup SLSC, WA
Innovation of the Year:
The SLSA Innovation of the Year Award is given to a person or group in recognition of any development of equipment, procedures, or other initiatives that improves any facet of Surf Life Saving Australia.
- Learn to Surf Program – Sandon Point SLSC, NSW
- International Women’s Day Patrol – Point Danger Branch, QLD
- IRB Motor Lift – Semaphore SLSC, SA
- Sisters in Surf – Boat Harbour Beach SLSC, TAS
- The Venus Bay Proprietary Communication Application – Venus Bay LSC, VIC
Youth Athlete of the Year:
Surf Sports Youth Athlete of the Year recognises and rewards athletes ages 15-21 who have demonstrated sporting excellence a well as contributed to the area of surf sports within surf lifesaving.
- Lily Finati – North Bondi SLSC, NSW
- Emma Woods – Alexandra Headland SLSC, QLD
- Maguire Reid – Port Noarlunga SLSC, SA
- Phoebe Woodhouse – Burnie SLSC, TAS
- Daisy Graham – South Melbourne LSC, VIC
- Will Savage – Trigg Island SLSC, WA
Athlete of the Year:
Surf Sports Athlete of the Year recognises and rewards athletes who have demonstrated sporting excellence a well as contributed to the area of surf sports within surf lifesaving.
- Ali Najeem – Wanda SLSC, NSW
- Heather Standley – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Georgia Miller – Northcliffe SLSC, QLD
- Francesca Kidd – Seacliff SLSC, SA
- Connor van der Ploeg – Burnie SLSC, TAS
- Madeleine Hurst – Half Moon Bay LSC, VIC
- Sophie Watts – City of Perth SLSC, WA
Surf Sports Coach of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards coaches who have made a significant contribution towards the area of coaching within surf lifesaving with regards to both athlete’s performance and the area of educational development for coaches.
- Mick Lang – Tacking Point SLSC, NSW
- Jody Hall – Mindil Beach SLSC, NT
- Melinda Jackson – Northcliffe SLSC, QLD
- Charles Sheffield – Grange SLSC, SA
- Maddy McBride – Kingston Beach SLSC, TAS
- Christine Cardwell – South Melbourne LSC & Angelsea SLSC, VIC
- Matthew Bowbridge – Trigg Island SLSC, WA
Surf Sports Official of the Year:
Surf Sports Official of the Year recognises and rewards officials who have made a significant contribution within surf lifesaving to the area of officiating and have shown an extraordinary commitment to officiating through the 2019-20 season as well as contributing towards official’s educational development.
- Ken Sellers – The Entrance SLSC, NSW
- Kylie Innes – Northcliffe, QLD
- Paul Rothwell – Christies Beach SLSC, SA
- Elizabeth Eustace – Ulverstone SLSC, TAS
- Kaya Cook – Mount Martha LSC, VIC
- Garry Bunford – Sorrento SLSC, WA