Vale – Peter White, Alexandra Headlands SLSC
Surf Life Saving Australia extends their deepest sympathies to Peter White’s family and friends, after the SLSA and SLSQ Life Member sadly passed away.
White had dedicated more than 24 years of service to the movement on a local, branch, state and national level and co-wrote the membership protection policy for Surf Life Saving Australia.
He also contributed to the national coaching syllabus for Lifesaving Competition events, which included the design and development of multimedia training programs for Champion Lifesaver and Patrol Competition.
As a coach for Alexandra Headland Surf Life Saving Club he won 19 national and 34 state Gold Medals as a Surf Rescue coach. Another highlight was travelling to Japan to introduce surf rescue competition.
Between 2010-14 he also developed and implemented training programs for Peer Support officers, volunteers and lifeguards, with 78 attendees becoming qualified in this area.
Between 1997-2005 White was the State Youth Development Director and during this time organised and conducted camps. This role and expertise led him to sit on the National Board of Development for five years.
Professionally, White worked as a trauma counsellor for the Queensland Police Service and was previously the Director of Mental Health for Wide Bay.
Peter believed in the power of peer support and the comfort that could be derived from one member supporting another.
Peter White’s key achievements:
- 1,126.75 recorded voluntary patrol hours between 1996-2020
- Alexandra Headland Surf Lifesaving Club Life Member 2014
- Alexandra Headland Surf Rescue Coach: 19 national, 34 state Gold medals
- Sunshine Coast Branch Volunteer of the Year 2002
- Queensland Volunteer of the Year 2003
- Queensland Amateur Coach of the Year 2008
- Lifesaving Excellence Award 2012
- Clive Hammond Silver Medal 2013
- Surf Life Saving Queensland Life Member 2013
- Australia Day Medallions for Surf Lifesaving 2001 and 2003
- National Volunteer of the Year 2003
- SLSA Presidents Medal 2012
- 15 Year National Patrol Service Medal 2013
- National Service Medal 2019
- International Lifesaving Citation of Merit 2003
First appeared on SLSQ website – http://lifesaving.com.au/vale-peter-white/