The SLSA Learning and Development team have responded to feedback and recommendations from members and state nominated working groups and have updated the following resources:
- Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) Age Managers Course
- SLSA Pain Management Certificate
- The SLSA Spinal Management Certificate (as part of the SLSA Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid review).
The new suite of resources for each course now includes an online course for a blended course delivery option.
Surf Life Saving Australia Learning and Development Manager Pamela Simon said the courses open up a range of new opportunities.
‘These online courses allow greater flexibility for members with different learning styles, offering the conveniences of online learning combined with the social and instructional support of face-to-face activities and assessment,’ she said.
Changes to each specific course are listed below:
SLSA PAIN MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATE UPDATES
- The SLSA Pain Management Certificate now has a video demonstration available showing the administration of methoxyflurane. It includes the new step of having a victim practice using an empty inhaler before breathing in the methoxyflurane. It goes for approximately 5 minutes and is available to view with the learner guide in the SLSA Members Portal.
- The course is no longer included as a module of the SLSA Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid (SMAFA). This is because some state/territory legislations prevent all state centres becoming a permit holder for obtaining and distributing methoxyflurane. This change also reflects the updated unit of competency HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid that SMAFA aligns with.
SLSA AGE MANAGERS COURSE UPDATES
- The SLSA Age Managers course has a new process for becoming an age manager which includes the newly formalized role of an age manager mentor.
- It has a greater focus on age manager collaboration with other age managers and parents in the delivery of the SLSA Junior Development Program. It also makes greater reference to the support tools available within the SLSA Members Portal for delivering Nipper sessions as well as their own personal development.
- It includes more content to assist in the delivery of fun, safe, inclusive and engaging surf education activities. For example, there is more information for age managers on the topics of inclusivity, member protection, surf safety (signals and identifying rips), healthy body image and fun indoor activities for wet weather days.
SLSA SPINAL MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATE UPDATES
- As the SLSA Spinal Management Certificate is a module of the SLSA Silver Medallion Advanced First Aid which is currently under review, it now has new imagery throughout its new online and offline educational resources.
For further information, log into portal.sls.com.au to see what new educational support tools and resources are available for you.